Learning a new language comes naturally when you study abroad. Not only will you become fluent faster, you will also have a memorable international and cultural experience. Take a look at our study abroad opportunities and get in touch with us so we can start planning your study abroad program together.
Please choose your age
EF Languages Abroad
EF University Preparation
EF Gap Year
Why study abroad?
It takes courage and commitment to learn a new language. The fastest, most natural way to learn is by taking part in a study abroad program. Whether you want to immerse yourself in Spanish on the beaches of Barcelona or advance your business career in London, we have the best study abroad programs to get you there fast.
Our schools are located in vibrant neighborhoods, in the world’s most exciting cities. Join us and study abroad with motivated students from a variety of countries. You’ll make international friends, discover amazing places, and have so much fun that you’ll hardly be able to call it work at all.
How to study abroad?
Want to study abroad, but don't know how? Here are some tips on how to go abroad for language studies:
What are the benefits of studying abroad?
In today's world, language and intercultural skills are key to success. Discovering new places, immersing yourself in a new culture and making new friends from all over the world are proven factors for long-term success.
For us, progress isn’t just a possibility; it’s a promise. Studying abroad has challenges and rewards, and we support you every step of the way so you know your investment will pay off. The learning doesn’t stop when you return home: you’ll stay connected to your study abroad program through online learning tools and student communities.
What’s more, you go home with documented proof of your language proficiency if you've studied in a non-English speaking country: an academic portfolio of certifications and exam results that are recognized by employers, universities and governments around the world. You won’t find a more reliable, more experienced study abroad program anywhere. Other benefits of studying abroad are:
- Learn a new language
- Discover a new culture
- Meet new people from all over the world
- Gain valuable experiences, both personally and professionally
What study abroad programs does EF offer?
Whether you want to prepare for an exam, graduate from a university, or just learn and discover a new language and culture at our language school - you came to the right place. Studying abroad is the best way to gain confidence and experience speaking a new language. Our study abroad programs range from year-long courses to summer vacation programs, so there's something for everyone. If you have decided that you want to study abroad, then it is time to find out what you would like to learn and discover. At EF, we offer numerous international studies abroad:
- EF Language Programs - EF offers language courses in more than 50 locations around the world, in 19 different countries and in 12 languages, suitable for international students of all ages and levels.
- EF Exam Preparation Programs - EF will help you prepare for official language exams such as Cambridge English, TOEFL, IELTS and TOEIC. EF can also prepare you for an exam in Spanish, French, Italian, German, Chinese or Japanese.
- EF Internship or Volunteer Abroad Programs - An internship or volunteer program gives your CV a boost and helps you develop your language skills in a professional setting.
- EF University Foundation Year - In this year you will be prepared for your bachelor's degree abroad. You will acquire the skills you will need during your academic studies abroad. After successfully completing the program, you are guaranteed admission to one of our partner institutions worldwide.
- EF Advanced Diploma Program - Take your language skills to the next level by combining intensive English classes with a subject of your choice. An ideal preparation for further study.
- EF Multi Language Year - Travel the world as you learn two to three languages fluently in different countries. This gives you the opportunity to get to know different languages and cultures.
Where can I study abroad?
There's no better way to become fluent in a language than by studying it in an immersive environment. Enrolling in a study abroad program will improve your foreign language skills: a major asset to your future academic studies and career. You'll also become more independent and come home with an entirely new perspective on the world.
Our study abroad opportunities in non-English speaking countries include short-term summer study abroad programs, long-term academic courses, and university preparation programs. Whichever study abroad program you choose, you can be certain that you won't soon forget all that you've learned while studying in a foreign country. But before we move on, what are the most popular destinations for international studies abroad?
- Study abroad in Costa Rica
- Study abroad in London
- Study abroad in France
- Study abroad in Barcelona
- Study abroad in Rome
- Study abroad in China
- Study abroad in Tokyo
What are my accommodation options while I’m studying abroad?
Studying abroad gives you many customizable options, including where you’ll live for the duration of your language immersion program. You can opt to live with other international students in a student residence, or choose a homestay instead.
With homestay, you’ll join your host family for breakfast and dinner, and then during the day you’ll be in classes at our language school, university or college, or out and about exploring. This is a great way to experience the way of life in the city or country that you're visiting and reinforce your new skills. If you’d prefer a bit more independence as you study abroad, you can stay in a student residence with fellow international students from around the world.
What are the requirements to study abroad?
The conditions for studying abroad vary depending on the study, exchange program or language course you choose. In general, the conditions include good (certified) English language skills, a valid visa and travel insurance for the entire study period. When you decide to study overseas, please consider that achieving your learning goals depends on several factors:
- Study abroad takes time - Depending on your level of knowledge, you will choose a language course that is fully tailored to your needs and wishes in order to reach the desired level.
- Study abroad requires practice - Of course, there is no better way to learn to speak a language fluently when you are in the company of native speakers. As a result, you do not only practice during lessons, but also in everyday situations. Practice makes perfect, whenever and wherever you can.
- Study abroad requires commitment and dedication - Where we can, we help you achieve your learning goals, but the more committed you are, the greater the chance of success.
Study abroad is a challenge, but the rewards are amazing. Don't worry, with every step you take, we're there for you. And your language journey doesn't stop when you return home - improving your language skills is an ongoing process.
How to prepare for studying abroad?
Whether you're going on a holiday with family and friends or deciding to study abroad: good preparation is half of success. Prepare yourself so you won't be faced with any surprises. To study abroad for a few weeks, months or a year, or to follow a semester abroad, you must make some choices. Use the list below to know exactly what is expected of you, and what you can expect from us.
- Language course - Would you like to study abroad for several weeks? For a three months internship? Or stay abroad for a whole year? It is important to know exactly what you want. Depending on your dreams and ambitions, you can study abroad for 2 weeks, 1 month, 6 months or 1 year. It's totally up to you!
- Destination - Studying in Europe brings different experiences than studying in Asia. We have language schools in all corners of the world. The most popular countries are England, Canada, Australia, France, Spain and Malta.
- Accommodation - With homestay, you'll fully immerse yourself. If you’d prefer a bit more independence as you study overseas, you can stay in a student residence with fellow classmates from around the world.
- Visa & Insurance - In most cases you do need a visa to study abroad. Our study abroad office will guide and advise you during the visa application process. A basic and travel insurance is also necessary to study abroad.
- Flights - Our EF staff is responsible for booking both outbound and inbound flights. For some destinations you'll need a return ticket to your home country for a successful visa application.
Once you know which course you want to take, for how long and where you want to study abroad - then it's time to start with the language preparation. You don't need any prior knowledge of the chosen language, but it's always good to start practising: listen to Spanish music, download an English language learning app or watch a French series on Netflix. The more familiar you are with the language you want to study abroad, the better and more effective your study abroad will be.
How much does it cost to study abroad?
EF offers many different course types and options, so the price of studying abroad varies depending on your needs and wishes. To receive a complete and personalized offer, please request a price quotation via our study abroad office. Of course, you'll also need to consider the quality of your lessons as well as the extra activities. At EF we guarantee the best quality, both inside and outside the campus. Tuition, accommodation and meals are included in the offer:
- 20, 26 or 32 language lessons per week (40-minute lessons)
- Student residence or twin room with homestay
- Digital learning material
- EFSET Graduation Report
- Access to EF Campus Connect from enrollment
- Online pre & post course
- Free Wi-Fi access at our campus
Why study abroad with EF?
Since 1965, EF has helped people of all ages and nationalities become citizens of the world. Together, we are breaking down barriers of language, culture and geography. One passport. One discovery. One dream at a time.
Our high-quality educational study abroad programs have earned us accreditation by prestigious monitoring bodies and organisations, including ACCET in the Unites States. For nearly 50 years, EF has set the international standard as a pioneer in language learning. To date, EF has helped millions of people to learn a new language, discover the world, or earn an academic degree.
EF collaborates with the most prestigious universities worldwide – including the University of Cambridge – to define the future of language learning. Together this collective of the world’s leading linguists, scientists and language experts are pioneering initiatives in language acquisition, teaching technology and progress assessment.
Want to become a student abroad? Start living the language!
If you're looking to break out of your routine and study abroad with EF, just submit the form to request a free brochure, or call or text our study abroad office to learn more!